I use a computer all day, how can I reduce the symptoms of eye strain?
Most, if not all, symptoms of eye strain can be easily remedied by altering your immediate work space, work style and environment. Here are some tips which will help minimize any problems:
- Your monitor should be between 18 and 30 inches from your eyes.
- The top of the screen should be at eye level or below, so you have to look down slightly at your work.
- Your keyboard should be placed directly in front of the monitor.
- Use a copy stand for reading and reference materials at the same angle and distance as the monitor.
- Tilt the monitor downwards or move it to a different position on the desk so the brightest light sources are to the side, parallel to the users line of sight to the monitor. Alternatively you can use screen shields or filters.
- Try to take eye breaks by looking away from the screen every ten to fifteen minutes, and every two hours move away from the computer to give both your body and eyes a break.
- If you wear spectacles – ask your optometrist about an anti-reflection/anti-glare coating.
More help in store
If you need more help, you can contact us by searching for your nearest store below. Just type in your postcode, city or town.