How to find your pupillary distance
Your optometrist will measure your PD when fitting your frames. If you have your prescription but don't know your PD, you can measure it yourself quickly and easily.
Stand 30cm away from a mirror and place a ruler against your eyebrows. Close your left eye and take note of the measurement at the inner corner of your left eye. Open your eye and then close your right eye, taking note of the measurement at the outer corner of your right eye.
Your pupillary distance is the distance between these two points.
If you need your pupillary distance for reading glasses, then subtract 3mm from your regular pupillary distance. For example, if your pupillary distance is 63mm, then your reading glasses pupillary distance is 60mm.
If you have someone in your household available, they can help to measure your pupillary distance.
Stand 30cm away from each other and have the other person hold a ruler against your eyebrows and place the 0mm marker at the centre of your left pupil. Then, have them measure to the centre of your right pupil.
This measurement is your pupillary distance.
As with measuring your own pupillary distance, if you need your glasses for reading, then subtract 3mm from the measurement to get your reading pupillary distance.
Now you can use our quick and easy online tool with your mobile phone or laptop camera.
Tips for a successful scan
- Make sure you are in a well-lit room and your phone or laptop is on a steady surface.
- Check your volume is turned up and follow the instructions provided.
- If you are wearing glasses, please take them off.
- Look directly into the camera, not at yourself.
- Get your bank card (or any card with a magnetic strip). Light coloured cards work best.
Once you're ready to start, follow these instructions:
- Click the 'Measure your PD' button below.
- Make sure you have allowed access to your camera.
- Place the card on your forehead holding its top corner. We may ask you to make slight adjustments.
- Once you have completed all steps, your PD will be displayed. Make a note of it so you can enter it with your prescription details at the checkout.
- For reading glasses, subtract 3mm.