We respect your personal information and your privacy is important to us. Specsavers is committed to maintaining the highest standards to protect your personal information.
Operation of our Policy
We comply with the law
Specsavers is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 in Australia and by the Privacy Act 2020 and the Health Information Privacy Code 2020 in New Zealand, as amended from time to time. In Australia the Privacy Act does not apply to employee records which are governed by workplace laws.
What personal information does Specsavers hold?
The personal information that Specsavers may collect and process includes (but is not limited to):
- your full name;
- your contact details (mailing address, street address, email address, phone number and/or facsimile number);
- your date of birth;
- your relevant health retails including (a) current and past eye or hearing health conditions, general health conditions and glasses, contact-lens or hearing prescriptions, (b) current medication details, and (c) correspondence between your optometrist or audiologist and your GP or ophthalmologist;
- your examination and test results;
- your payment details;
- details of your visit to the website and any transactions you carry out or forms you fill in on the website;
- your lifestyle, occupation and hobbies;
- your health fund and Medicare details;
- any information or images you give us when you use our virtual try-on technology;
- your employer;
- details of the services or products you have purchased or enquired about (including any additional information necessary to deliver the product or provide you with the service and respond to your enquiries, including but not limited to your prescription details and medical history); and
- any other information you have voluntarily provided to us.
For Specsavers employees, personal information is collected for employment purposes at the time of appointment and during employment, including but not limited to CVs, payroll information, performance management and disciplinary records.
For certain services, Specsavers is required to collect your name, address and date of birth as part of our legal and regulatory obligations, including under the Health Practitioner Regulation Nation Law as enacted in each state and territory of Australia and the Hearing Services Rules of Conduct 2012.
Some personal information we collect is “sensitive information”. Sensitive information includes health information. Sensitive information will be used and disclosed only for the purpose for which it was provided, or a directly related secondary purpose, unless you agree otherwise, or where certain other limited circumstances apply (for example, where required by law or necessary for the protection of a person/persons).
How does Specsavers collect personal information?
Specsavers will collect personal information directly from you unless it is not reasonably practicable to do so. We mainly collect this information from you when you give it to us voluntarily, but we may also collect it from other sources if it is legal to do so. We will only ask you to provide information that is relevant to the service or product that you have requested or to enable us to respond to your enquiry. We may collect personal information from you in various ways including:
- when you visit a Specsavers Store for an eye test or a hearing test or to purchase products including sunglasses, frames, lenses or contact lenses, hearing aid and accessories and other associated products and services;
- when you attend a vision or hearing screening organised by Specsavers at a public or industry event or a vision or hearing screening organised by your employer;
- when you visit a Specsavers store or our website or indirectly through the use of our website or online presences, through our representatives or otherwise;
- when you make a purchase through our website or try on glasses virtually;
- when you book an eye test or hearing test or make an enquiry over the phone, through our website or other electronic means;
- when you enter our competitions and trade promotions;
- when you register on our website;
- when you apply for a job with us, our suppliers or contractors;
- when you provide customer feedback surveys, lodge a complaint and communicate with our Central Support Team;
- any information and /or images provided to us when you use Specsavers virtual try-on technology; and
- when authorised people provide us with your personal information on your behalf Your personal information may also be collected on occasions through third parties including:
- from employment recruitment agencies;
- from health funds or Government agencies (in order to receive advice about your eligibility to rebates on Specsavers’ product and services);
- from third party optometry practices which have been converted to Specsavers Stores;
- from other optometrists, audiology professionals and health practitioners (with your consent);
Information collected from visitors to our website (including via mobile access)
When you use our website, Specsavers may collect information about our website users collectively, which may include data about your location (i.e. city and country), internet browser type, language, operating system, service provider, screen resolution and whether you are visiting for the first time or revisiting our website. This data is anonymously collected and only used in aggregate, and as such no identifying information is collected. Specsavers uses this information to help improve our website and its usability and to help us determine what is most beneficial to our users so that we can provide you with the best possible experience.
In order to measure the success of our on-line advertising we use pixels, or transparent GIF files, to establish which of our online adverts successfully bring people to our website. The GIF files are provided by third parties who provide us with online advertising analysis. This system places a cookie on your browser when you enter our website via online advertisements allowing us to see which online advertisements bring us the most visitors to our website. The information collected on our behalf is anonymous and does not personally identify you. The information does not contain your name, address, telephone number or your e-mail address. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies but you can change your browser to reject them. Even without a cookie you can still use our website.
How might Specsavers use the personal information they collect?
Specsavers may use the personal information collected from you for a number of purposes connected with our business including to:
- book your eye / hearing tests
- perform eye and hearing examinations so we can understand your eye / hearing health and any medical conditions
- provide products and services you have requested;
- process any transactions with your purchase our goods and services
- process credit and debit card payments via third-party payment card processors; for example Worldpay, Afterpay and Paypal;
- respond to your requests or enquiries and other customer care related activities;
- evaluat, developing and enhancing our websites and our services;
- survey and feedback requests to help us improve our service to you
- conduct website and system administration, such as for the technical support of our websites and computer systems;
- undertake direct marketing such as providing information to you about special offers, promotions, products or services that we think may be of interest to you or conducting market research surveys including by mail, email, SMS, social media or other forms of communication. When we send you direct marketing materials about our products and services, you will be able to unsubscribe from them;
- confirm an upcoming eye or hearing examination appointment;
- advise you of the requirement for a future eye examination;
- contact you about changes to our service that could affect or inconvenience you;
- carry out any activity in connection with a legal or regulatory requirement or in connection with legal proceedings;
- carry out activities connected with the running of our business and in connection with the transfer of any part of our business in respect of which you are a customer or potential customer;
- respond to complaints, queries and claims made against us; and
- carry out general administrative and business requirements
If you choose not to provide us with the information we ask for, we may not be able to perform these functions or to provide the requested goods or services.
We may disclose an anonymised version of your email address (we use a process called hashing to protect your details) to third party social media sites such as Facebook and Google to enable us to display marketing to you via such sites and allow us to monitor how effective our adverts are and help us to target our adverts more effectively. "Hashing" is similar to encryption and means that we scramble the plain text of your email address to create a unique and irreversible message. This means that the social media sites do not receive a plain text version of your email address or any other personal information. Where we do this, we require social media providers only to use your information for the purposes of enabling us to display marketing to you through their site and to monitor how effective our adverts are and ensure that our adverts are targeted at the correct people or types of people - not for any of their own purposes. You can update your social media privacy preferences on your own social media accounts.
Where possible, Specsavers will give you the option of not identifying yourself or of using a pseudonym. Specsavers may not always be able to interact with you in this manner, especially where it is required by law to identify you before providing certain information. In general Specsavers will not be able to assist you anonymously or where you are using a pseudonym when:
- it is impractical or
- where we are required or authorised by law or a court/tribunal order to deal with you personally
- persons to whom we may be required to pass your information by law including regulatory bodies;
- other optometrists, medical practitioners, heath and social care providers;
- other third parties who have a legal right to access personal information, e.g. the police, our insurers, external auditors, investigators;
- other companies who provide us with updated personal information e.g. changes to your contact information;
- persons assisting Specsavers to protect and defend the rights of Specsavers, the interests and personal safety of users of specsavers.com.au and specsavers.co.nz, customers of Specsavers or members of the public;
- anyone who assists us to process your information including our group companies in Guernsey, the Republic of Ireland or the United Kingdom. There are also Privacy (Data Protection) laws in force in these jurisdictions (not the same as in Australia or New Zealand but in our opinion substantially similar) which protect your personal information. We value your personal information and work closely with our overseas offices to safeguard the privacy of any shared information;
- service providers such as organisations who provide data processing, customer satisfaction surveys, appointment booking, printing and fulfilment operations who may be located in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Guernsey, Norway, the United States and/or India;
- entities for whom we are acting as an agent, partner and our affiliated group companies British Isles, Republic of Ireland and Guernsey;
- anyone authorised by the individual to whom the personal information relates to;
- to another company, in the event that Specsavers or a related asset or line of business is acquired by or transferred to that other company;
- our group companies including those outside of Australia and New Zealand for processing. Such companies may be located in British Isles, Republic of Ireland and Guernsey; and
- companies who are franchisees of Specsavers but are not subsidiaries or group companies of the Specsavers group.
The countries to which we may transfer your information include the British Isles, Republic of Ireland, Guernsey, Norway, the United States and/or India, for processing. If you are accessing our website from a country outside of Australia or New Zealand your information may be transferred outside of Australia or New Zealand to that country. If we transfer your information outside of Australia or New Zealand in this way, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that your privacy continues to be protected in a manner which is consistent with the laws of Australia and New Zealand.
Your optometrist or audiology professional from your local Specsavers store, with your consent, may refer you to a doctor or specialist and forward relevant information to that medical practitioner about your particular condition (this may include your health information).
Management and security of personal information
Specsavers has security safeguards and procedures in place to ensure that the personal information we collect is stored in a secure environment protected from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Although we take reasonable steps to maintain the security of our internet connections, for reasons outside of our control, information transmitted to us over the internet may not be absolutely secure. Specsavers assumes no responsibility for disclosure of data due to errors in transmission.
Whilst we will use our all reasonable endeavours to safeguard your person information we cannot guarantee that your personal information will be protected against unauthorised access, misuse or disclosure. We do not accept any liability for the improper actions of unauthorised third parties.
Specsavers also assumes no responsibility or liability for third parties such as payment card processors, advertisers or other entities who utilise banner ads and links from our website. If you click through a banner ad or link and submit your information to an advertiser or other third party, you will be subject to the privacy policies of that party.
We retain your personal information in line with relevant legislation and for as long as the information is relevant to our business purposes as set out above or until you request that we remove the information by contacting your local Specsavers store or our Privacy Officer.
Specsavers has procedures in place to ensure that any document or record containing your personal or health information is disposed of in a manner that preserves your privacy.
We take precautions to protect your personal information collected through specsavers.com.au and specsavers.co.nz but in the event that our system is infiltrated by unauthorised third parties we will not be liable for any resulting misuse of the personal information.
Updating your personal information
Specsavers endeavours to ensure that the personal information it holds about individuals is accurate, complete up-to-date and not misleading. Please contact your local Specsavers store or our Privacy Officer if the information we hold about you requires changing, or is out of date. If it is reasonable in the circumstances for us to do so, we will make the requested change or correction, otherwise we will take reasonable steps to record the substance of your change or correction request.
Accessing personal information
You will be able to access personal information that Specsavers holds about you if it can be readily retrieved, subject to some exceptions allowed by law.
To request access to your personal information please contact your local Specsavers store or our Privacy Officer in writing.
To the extent permitted by law Specsavers may charge a reasonable administrative fee associated with providing a copy of your personal information to you.
How to contact the Privacy Officer
In Australia Privacy Officer
Specsavers Pty Ltd
520 Graham Street
Port Melbourne, Victoria
Tel: +61 (03) 8645 0700
Fax: +61 (03) 9646 6050
In New Zealand Privacy Officer
Specsavers New Zealand Ltd
26A Triton Drive, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand
Tel: +64 9 475 5434
Fax: 64 9 475 5435
How to make a Complaint
If you feel we have failed to deal with your complaint in a satisfactory way you can make a complaint about the handling by Specsavers of your personal information to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (Australia) or the Office of the Privacy Commissioner (New Zealand) (www.privacy.org.nz)
For more information about privacy in general please contact the following:
In Australia Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC)
In New Zealand Office of the Privacy Commissioner
Last updated 2 November 2020
© Copyright Specsavers Pty Ltd and Specsavers New Zealand Limited. All rights reserved.